Woman suffers burns after trying to rescue pet in Yellowstone National Park

Chased dog which went into Maiden’s Grave Spring

By: - October 5, 2021 2:08 pm

Maiden’s Grave Spring near the Firehole River in Yellowstone National Park (Photo by James St. John via Flickr | CC-BY-SA 2.0).

A 20-year-old woman was badly burned on her shoulders and feet as she tried to rescue her dog after it went into Maiden’s Grave Spring near the Firehole River in Yellowstone National Park on Monday.

According to park officials, when the woman, who is from Washington state, and her father got out of their vehicle to look around. As they did, the dog jumped out of the car and into the spring. The woman went after the dog, entered the spring to retrieve it. After the woman was in the spring, her father helped pull her out.

The father took his daughter to West Yellowstone, Montana. Yellowstone National Park rangers and the Hebgen Basin Rural Fire District provided care until the woman was transferred to the burn center at Eastern Idaho Regional Medical Center.

The dog, which was also taken from the spring, was transported to a veterinarian and its status is currently unknown, park officials said.

The incident is currently under investigation, and since the woman was transported from the park, her status was not known by park officials.

The woman’s injury at Maiden’s Grave was the second major incident in less than a month. The other occurred on Sept. 16 at Old Faithful. There, a woman, a 19-year-old park concessionaire employee from Rhode Island, was injured early in the morning. She received second- and third-degree burns to five percent of her body. She was flown via air ambulance to the burn center at Eastern Idaho Regional Medical Center.

Yellowstone National Park reminds visitors that pets must be physically controlled at all times and that they must be in a car, crate or on a leash no more than six feet long. They are not allowed on boardwalks, hiking trails, in the backcountry or in thermal areas.