Big Sky Roundup
Yellowstone roads between West Entrance and Mammoth Hot Springs open for 2022 spring bicycling March 25
Dragon’s Mouth in Yellowstone National Park ( Photo by Cole Messa).
The following sections of the Grand Loop Road between the West Entrance and Mammoth Hot Springs will open to cycling, the park said:
- West Entrance to Madison Junction
- Madison Junction to Norris Junction
- Norris Junction to Mammoth Hot Springs
- Snowplows and other motorized vehicles operated by park employees or construction workers on the road.
- Quickly changing weather conditions.
- Temporary road closures due to weather conditions.
- Snow and ice covering sections of road.
- Wildlife on roads.
- No services available, except limited restrooms.
- Ride during day light hours only.
- Anticipate encountering bears, bison, elk, wolves and other wildlife.
- Stay at least 100 yards from bears and wolves and 25 yards from all other wildlife. Prepare to wait or turn around if bison or other wildlife are on the road.
- Carry bear spray and know how to use it.
- Stay out of closed areas.
- Ride single file and follow all other rules of the road.
- Plan for self-rescue or repair. Cell phone coverage throughout the park is sparse and unreliable for communicating emergencies.
- Prepare to spend an extended period in winter conditions in the event of a mechanical breakdown, injury or other emergency.
Our stories may be republished online or in print under Creative Commons license CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. We ask that you edit only for style or to shorten, provide proper attribution and link to our web site. Please see our republishing guidelines for use of photos and graphics.